‘They’ve assured me a spot’: Dragons declare Dufty's staying
ST GEORGE Illawarra has dismissed reports young gun Matt Dufty is on his way out of the club, with recruitment boss Ian Millward breaking his silence on the matter.
It was reported earlier this week the Dragons were looking to move Dufty on to clear salary cap space for off-contract fullback Jarryd Hayne, but the club has refuted the claims and vowed to stick by their local junior.
"The speculation and misinformation surrounding Matt's future has been disappointing," Millward said.
"Matt is contracted for 2019 and will definitely be a part of our squad next year, there has never been any internal discussion that suggested otherwise."
Hayne is currently without a club for 2019. A second sexual assault allegation was directed at the 30-year-old former Eels player on Thursday.
The Dragons are still believed to be in the market for a backline player given they have lost Nene Macdonald to the Cowboys and the retirement of Jason Nightingale.
Dufty, 22, is off contract at the end of the 2019 season, but has also dismissed reports he is being shopped around to rival clubs.
"I've had a chat with the senior staff members at the club and they have assured me of my spot in 2019 so I'm keen to rip into pre-season and beyond for the Dragons," he said.
"The club reassured me that if anything were to happen that they'd let me know before it hit the papers, which is great to hear because I have a great relationship with everyone at the club and I'm looking to ripping in for them and all the boys."