Heroic man saves neighbour's home from fast moving fire
A NEIGHBOUR'S heroic actions saved a Potter's Road home from being swallowed by a fast-moving grass fire that broke out at Wooderson yesterday morning.
Resident of three months Katelyn Laing called 000 at 11.15am when she arrived home with fiance Benjamin Bentley to a "vicious" grass fire that was spreading in nearby paddocks at Potters Rd.
With a change in the wind direction at 11.30am, the fire was approaching their property, edging close to the home.
Ms Laing said she "felt helpless" and worries what could have happened to the home if it weren't for the quick-thinking actions of Nick, who lives nearby.
"Nick from up the road was amazing, he came through with his dozer to put in a fire break to save our house," she said.
"If he didn't put that fire break in, the fire would've reached the house."
The fire burnt through 200ha and lingered around Ms Laing's property and her neighbour's for more than six hours.
At 4pm a nine weeks pregnant Ms Laing was still watching from a safe distance down the street with her and Benjamin's family who were planning to have a Father's Day barbecue at their home.
"I thought we would lose everything," she said.
"Nick and his father and brother went into the house to grab what we needed while we all waited up the street.
"There was nothing we could do, we're still feeling a little bit on edge."
Ms Laing thanked the firefighters who worked tirelessly throughout the afternoon to protect properties.
A Fire and Emergency Services spokeswoman said there were up to 16 rural and urban crews battling the blaze.
At 6pm they were still backburning around properties and using a dozer to create fire breaks.
Last week the state was put on notice for bushfires at the weekend. A weather system from southwest Queensland delivered strong winds throughout the state, creating prime conditions for fires.
Are you ready for bushfires? See getready.qld.gov.au for more information.