Hayne ‘in hiding’: reports claim
NRL star Jarryd Hayne has reportedly become unreachable following reports the out-of-contract star is the subject of a sexual assault complaint.
Without an NRL club for next season, Hayne is being investigated by the NSW Sex Crimes Squad following an incident on grand final night, according to multiple reports.
The woman at the centre of the unsubstantiated accusations claims she suffered injuries during a sexual encounter with Hayne in the Hunter Valley on September 30 and that she had photographs to back up her story.
Hayne has not been arrested or charged. A police spokeswoman said: "Police are investigating following reports a woman was sexually assaulted by a 30-year-old man in late September.
"The investigation is being led by detectives from the Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad."
It's understood the woman was interviewed by the NRL's integrity unit before the matter was referred to police. She claims the sex with Hayne was initially consensual.
Reports emerged on Friday that Hayne's lawyer, manager and Eels teammates have been unable to reach the dual Dally M player of the year.
Channel 9 reporter Danny Weidler told Triple M's Grill Team on Friday that Hayne's associates were not informed of the accusations until Thursday.
Hayne is also still defending a civil court rape case made against him while living in the US during his NFL career with the San Francisco 49ers - an accusation he has long vehemently denied.
"I broke the news to Hayne's manager, Wayne Beavis, last night," Weidler said.
"He said he knew nothing about it. His lawyer (Ramy Qutami) also knew nothing about it."
Parramatta club officials have also been unable to reach the former Australian and Fijian international representative, according to AAP.
The Daily Telegraph reported Hayne's 2018 Parramatta teammates hadn't heard from him "in two days".
Hayne's contract at the Eels expired on October 31. The backline utility reportedly remains in discussions with St George Illawarra about a potential move to the Dragons for the 2019 NRL season.
The Eels had been hopeful at least one other player could be picked up by another club to fit Hayne into next year's salary cap but it's understood they were unaware of the allegations until Thursday.
"As this is a police matter the club will be making no public comment in relation to these reports," a Parramatta spokeswoman said.
NRL clubs who failed to make the finals last season have already begun returning for pre-season training, but Hayne remains an uncontracted gun for hire.
Meanwhile, the family of the woman who has made the allegations to police against Hayne are reportedly "furious".
Weidler said family members claimed there were photos to support the woman's claim she suffered injury during her meeting with the NRL star.
"I've had extensive conversations with the woman's family," Weidler said.
"I can assure you they're furious about the matter. The family says that the woman went to a doctor. The doctor has photographic evidence to support her claim.
"Police have interviewed the woman. My understanding is the NRL integrity unit have interviewed the woman. Also witnesses who came into contact with Hayne that night have been interviewed by police.
"It's very important we say no charges have been laid and we're not suggesting Hayne is guilty of any offence."
- with AAP