Shocking death from flesh-eating virus
AN INDIANA family's vacation to Florida reportedly left a mum dead from a flesh-eating bacteria.
Carol Martin, 50, died Saturday, nearly two months after returning from Clearwater, Fla., with an infection known as necrotizing fasciitis, the New York Post reported.
Martin's family said they believe the virus may have been from a hot tub at the localDays Innhotel.
"My thing is nobody else [in the family] got it, the flesh-eating bacteria," her husband, Richard, told news station WFLA.
"No one else got it but she was the only one who got in the hot tub."
It wasn't until they were back in Indianapolis that the mother noticed a nickel-size sore on her buttocks, according to the news station.
When she sought treatment, doctors sent her home with antibiotics and suggested a heating pad. Her symptoms, however, continued to get worse and she returned for more medical care.
"They finally decided to do a biopsy of the area after the third trip [to the doctor]," her husband said.
"That's when they found out it was the flesh-eating virus, bacteria."
The woman underwent two surgeries and was released, but days later she died at her home.
An autopsy was ordered to officially determine whether the virus caused her death.
"We should have the answers and know why this went where it did," her husband said.
This article was originally published in the New York Post and is republished with permission.