'Teeth rattling, body jerking': Teen's energy drink seizure
A COAST mother is warning parents about the dangers of energy drinks after her daughter suffered a seizure on Friday, May 25.
Donna Honan said she had called an ambulance about midnight on Friday when her 14-year-old daughter began twitching uncontrollably.
"Her teeth were rattling, her muscles were twitching and her body was just jerking like she was being shocked," she said.
The cause was a 500ml can of energy drink her daughter had consumed earlier in the day.
"The ambulance officers were asking her questions about what she'd been eating and drinking and as soon as she said she an energy drink, they went 'Yep, we see this all the time'," she said.
The Caffeine Informer website reports that the 500ml drink Donna's daughter consumed contains about 253mg of caffeine: over three-times the amount in an espresso coffee.
Sunshine Coast Local Medical Association president Rodger Faint said caffeine in high doses could be harmful to anyone but especially young people.
"At that age, your body is caffeine-naïve and not used to it and you're also smaller so your body absorbs it more," Dr Faint said.
"Young people shouldn't be having caffeine, especially in these high doses, but these type of drinks make it easier for them to have access to it."
Ms Honan said she had no idea her daughter drank energy drinks as they were not something she ever had in the house.
"When I asked her why she had one, she said 'Everyone drinks them'," Ms Honan said. "I always knew they were unhealthy but I never realised how dangerous they actually were."
Ms Honan said she believed restrictions needed to be placed on the sale of these drinks, just as cigarettes are sold behind a store counter.