Manchester City's Sergio Aguero, left, celebrates scoring his side's second goal with teammate Leroy Sane in the 3-1 win over Arsenal.
Manchester City's Sergio Aguero, left, celebrates scoring his side's second goal with teammate Leroy Sane in the 3-1 win over Arsenal. Martin Rickett

Manchester City eight points clear at top of EPL

MANCHESTER City have pulled eight points clear at the top of the English Premier League after a 3-1 win over Arsenal and Manchester United's 1-0 defeat at Chelsea.

City impressed against the Gunners with Kevin de Bruyne giving Pep Guardiola's team a first-half lead.

Sergio Aguero added a second from the penalty spot early in the second half before substitute Alexandre Lacazette pulled a goal back.

Gabriel Jesus put City 3-1 up in the 74th minute despite a suspicion of off-side, with Arsene Wenger's team now 12 points behind the league leaders.

"The third goal, at 2-1 we are in the game and he (referee Michael Oliver) gives a clear off-side goal,” Wenger said.

"And, of course, that kills the game for us.

"They are a top team but that (bad decisions) makes it even more difficult for you.”

At Stamford Bridge Alvaro Morata ended his six-match scoring drought with a powerful header to give Chelsea a 1-0 win over Jose Mourinho's United.

There is no love lost between Mourinho and Blues counterpart Antonio Conte with the Chelsea boss fuelling the fire after not shaking the United boss's hand after the win.

Victory left Chelsea fourth, nine points off the summit.

Meanwhile, an injury-hit Tottenham Hotspur remained level on points with second-placed United thanks to a 1-0 win over bottom-of-the-table Crystal Palace.

Spurs had to fight hard to break down Palace with South Korea's Son-Heung Min brea,king the deadlock on 64 minutes with a curling effort from 25 metres.

Goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga, who marked his debut for the north London club, made several fine saves, after injuries meant manager Mauricio Pochettino was without the services of both Hugo Lloris and Michel Vorm.

In the other English top-flight clash Everton finally got back to winning ways after coming back from 2-0 down at Goodison Park to defeat Watford.

Goals either side of half-time from Richarlison and Christian Kabasele had put the visitors in control before Oumar Niasse pulled a goal back for the home team.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin made it 2-2 with a header from Leighton Baines' corner.

Baines completed the comeback with a penalty in the last-minute of normal time.

Adding to the drama was that there were 12 minutes of stoppage time after Watford goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes receiving prolonged treatment for a nasty head wound after an accidental clash with teammate Kabasele.

Former Everton player Tom Cleverley could have rescued a point for Watford but he missed a penalty in the ninth minute of stoppage time.