A boy has been stung by a bluebottle on a Coast beach.
A boy has been stung by a bluebottle on a Coast beach. Kellie Beer

Jellyfish sting at popular Coast beach

A BOY was taken to hospital last night after suffering a jellyfish sting on the Sunshine Coast.

Paramedics rushed to a Buddina beach at around 6pm last night to treat the boy, who is believed to be in his early teens.

Queensland Ambulance assessed the boy at a Talinga Street address, amid reports that he had been stung by a bluebottle jellyfish on the lower leg.

While bluebottles are described by the Australian Museum as one of the "more harmless, non-tropical stinger varieties", a bluebottle sting can be dire in some cases.

According to the Australian Museum website, "the average person, getting stung by one will present no harmful danger, however, for the very young, elderly, people allergic to them or in extreme cases, they can present further complications."

The boy was taken by paramedics to Caloundra Hospital in a stable condition.