A 59-year-old man was transported to Hervey Bay Hospital by the RACQ Life Flight helicopter on Saturday afternoon.
A 59-year-old man was transported to Hervey Bay Hospital by the RACQ Life Flight helicopter on Saturday afternoon. Valerie Horton

Fraser Island adventure turns to horror after bashing

IT WAS supposed to be a celebration but a trip to Fraser Island became a nightmare for a 59-year-old man and his family.

The man and his wife travelled to Eli Creek to explore the World Heritage-listed destination on Saturday morning, but by that afternoon he was in Hervey Bay Hospital awaiting an MRI.

Details supplied by daughter Candice Jasch are horrific.

She said her father noticed two people riding dangerously on motorbikes in close proximity to several children. When he asked them to stop the alleged attack began.

"They got off their bikes and used their helmets to smash him across the head," she said.

She said he was left with a large gash on his head, a swollen eye, and could not remember the blow.

It would be about three hours from the time of the attack to his arrival at Hervey Bay Hospital, where he was to undergo an MRI and further tests.

His 57-year-old wife was unable to accompany him to hospital due to space constraints aboard the rescue helicopter.

RACQ LifeFlight Rescue helicopter confirmed it flew a mission to Fraser Island.

Police were called but the men have not yet been charged. It is understood the 59-year-old man is yet to provide a statement to police.

Mrs Jasch came forward after seeing social media comments about another incident on Fraser Island.

RACQ Life Flight Rescue helicopter transported a 26-year-old tourist to Hervey Bay Hospital after a fall in which she sustained a suspected fracture to her wrist.

The Fraser Coast Chronicle posted a link to the story on Facebook, and several users suggested it was a "waste" of Life Flight's resources.

"It would be a different story if it was one of their loved ones," Mrs Jasch said.

In 2005, Mrs Jasch's brother-in-law Mark was transported to Royal Brisbane Hospital after a serious car crash.

He suffered six broken ribs, a punctured lung, kidney and liver damage, a broken pelvis in three places, a broken hip, a broken femur in three places and internal bleeding after the car in which he was a passenger was wrapped around a power pole.

"People are so quick to throw out a comment but you really have to think about it," Mrs Jasch said.

"Some of these injuries seem minor, but delaying treatment can seriously worsen the conditions."

The 59-year-old man's scans were clear and he was discharged from Hervey Bay Hospital late Saturday. She said he returned to Fraser Island early Sunday to finish the holiday and will make a statement to police at a later date.

"He really loves the island - they're already out of range," she said Sunday morning.

"He was very sore but they're trying to finish the holiday. They don't want to drag everyone else down."